Saturday, May 31, 2008

The High Price of Obscurity


CHICKEN POT PIE
I have always loved the movies and I must admit I'm a bit of a celebrity gossip junkie. As a matter of fact, my conscience has just found it necessary to stop my subscription to People Magazine which was one of my only true indulgences. It's so expensive, and these days I can get my daily fix via Perez. A few too many upskirt shots for my taste, but he does seem to have all the buzz before many of the squeaky clean outlets i.e. Entertainment Tonight, etc. So, upon my subscription coming to an end I've been deluged with mail from People. They keep sending me these notices asking me to renew, and reminding me how much that would cost. It's easy for me to discard the notices, but what else in our budget can I trim? We aren't hurting yet, but who knows what's next? Gasoline is just ridiculously priced, but you knew that. Groceries are getting insane. Hard to believe we'll soon have to decide whether we should fill up the tank or buy more organic milk for Joe. Thank goodness we don't yet have to pay for cable or internet. I've been trying to cook more and have high aspirations of cooking every night, but I get exhausted watching Joe all day. He's "potty learning" now. That's the new politically correct version of Potty Training. Well, he's actually in the very early stages and I doubt he'll be wearing diapers to college, but if he doesn't get out of them soon we won't have any money to help him get there!
I've really been trying to use up any food in the house before buying more. Joe loves plain yogurt with a little vanilla, honey and my homemade granola sprinkled on it. I managed to make a Chicken Pot Pie the other night. Hey, stuff it with enough veggies and you've got a one dish meal - can't beat that! A few nights ago I made Ham and Potato Soup with some Easter ham I had frozen. Matt just came back from Sam's Club, a.k.a. Hell on Earth with $176 worth of groceries. It did not seem like an enormous amount of food, nothing that wouldn't fit in the refrigerator. I just spent about an hour making various marinades for chicken and flank steak so that we can freeze it and use our grill this summer. It looks like we will be eating a lot of salads and small amounts of meat in the near future, which is fine by me. I am so thankful that we are not struggling too much and hope that every one else is coping with the high price of obscurity at least as well as we are.

No comments: